The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act is a set of rules and regulations designed, among other things, to protect patient data. HIPAA was originally enacted in 1996 and its latest major update took effect on Sept. 23 of this year.
Along with looking at ICD-10 conversion in the coming months, we'll also be looking at the latest on HIPAA compliance and how medical practices can protect themselves and their patients' information. For now, here are a dozen of the best resources for keeping up-to-date with HIPAA compliance requirements and strategies for protecting patients' private information.
- The Office for Civil Rights in the Department of Health and Human Services enforces HIPAA. Start here to understand the policy, look up simplification rules and check out their extensive FAQ section.
- HHS also has a page dedicated to special information on smaller practices and businesses.
- The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services offers a host of information on HIPAA standards that need to be met and compliance deadlines. If you have any questions about whether you're considered a covered entity under HIPAA, this site can help.
- HealthIT.gov has a lot of information about how to keep your EHR/EMR system HIPAA-compliant and even offers a 10-step plan to help organize your practice's approach to security.
- Healthcare IT News also provides a lot of information specific to keeping EHR/EMRs compliant.
- The American Academy of Family Physicians has a section dedicated to helping family practices with security regulations and implementing HIPAA guidelines.
- Physicians Practice is part of the UBM Medica family of medical-oriented websites. It's packed with information about issues such as social media use leading to HIPAA violations and how employees inadvertently create data-security risks.
- Search Health IT takes an IT-centric approach to HIPAA management. It has articles discussing how to keep your predictive analytics HIPAA-compliant, compiles information about changes in HIPAA and examines issues that affect small practices and research facilities alike.
- EMR and HIPAA is a wide-ranging and fast-moving site that has up-to-date information on a variety of topics. It has sections dedicated to HIPAA breaches, lawsuits, news, training and general information, as well as other EHR/EMR issues.
- EHR Intelligence provides news, articles and tips about following HIPAA rules at your practice.
- Fierce EMR is one of the Fierce brands dedicated to EMRs and their security. It often touches on HIPAA topics from the perspective of electronic records.
- Logan Solutions Clinical Documentation Improvement Blog: As I mentioned above, we'll be sharing more HIPAA compliance information in the coming months. You’ll be able to find some of the latest news about HIPAA and how to avoid making costly mistake with your patients' privacy, so keep checking back for more information.
uses a combination of clinical practice expertise and technological
skill to help physician practices throughout the U.S. implement,
customize and improve their ERM and Dragon Medical software systems. Contact us to find out how our clinical-practice expertise can help your practice with its clinical documentation software needs.